On February 2, 1896, twenty-three people gathered in a rented hall for the first worship service of St. Clement's, which was then a mission. The church prospered along with the growing community of Hawthorne, and in 1901 the church building we now occupy was built.
The Reverend William B. Mawhinney was our first priest- in -charge. He served the church and community as pastor and friend until his death in 1928. Over the ensuing years, a number of priests have faithfully served this parish. Our current priest-in-charge is the Reverend Susan Schink.
Many additions and alterations have been made to the original church building, including adding our beautiful stained glass windows, and resurfacing the original wooden structure in brick. In the 1950's, a large addition added a parish hall, library, offices, and kitchen to the building. The altar was brought out from the back wall and made free-standing in the late 1960's. Other improvements include an outdoor ramp, handicap bathroom, and wheelchair lift in order to make our building handicap accessible. The interior of the church still contains beautiful wood wainscotting, beams, and ceiling .